Thursday, March 02, 2006

Wind in the willows

Susie Histand about 1947, with Uncle James Histand's children. I came across a few photo's at Daddy's the other day, this is one of them. Uncle James wrote Daddy 4 times, I'm not sure if he wrote back. He sent some pictures and in another letter he ask if Daddy received them. He ended one letter saying he'd love to hear from daddy or his children. He is the one who visited us in Dallas, and wife, who we took to Old City Park. Someone of youen's could drop him a line, he'd be tickled. He's 80 something now. Daddy has address and e-mail address, come on, lets surprise him with a line or two.

What a windy ole cold day. Timmy begged to go fly a kite today so we loaded up in the truck and drove down to the river by the old lock and dam. Of course we had to go down to the water first and check it out. It was a bitter cold wind rolling off the water and the white caps were really whipping and churning. I was so very cold but Timmy didn't seem to feel it. I insisted we walk back up the steps and get to flying the kite. Had no trouble getting it up into the air, dipping, curving, whipping, pulling and diving about wildly. It was really pulling HARD, I had to hang on tight. Timmy wanted to hold it so I showed him how to grip it really good. It slipped from his grip once but wasn't to high at the time to get away. We stayed and flew it for an hour and I was so cold my fingers would hardly work. He still said he wasn't ready to go but I told him he'd better get ready 'cause I was going to the truck and leaving with or without him. That did the trick and we took off running towards the truck and jumped in. Took off then stopped about a 100 yards away to get him standing beside a tree chewed half way through by a beaver. By then Kenny was on his way home so we were hurrying. Stopped at the little hole in the wall beauty shop and Timmy had his ears lowered in 15 minutes and we beat it home, only to pull in 1 minute behind Kenny. We loaded back in the truck and drove to Jenny and Chris's for Pizza. She had called earlier and ask us to come to a weenie roast but the wind was too much for a fire and way to cold. Kenny brought home a icecream cake from Dairy Queen for desert so that was supper.

The clock pulled a fast one on me, I just checked and it says 2;45 and counting. I had no idea! Every time I sit down here, it takes me about 2 hours to read and reply. Guess I'm toooo slow. Sleep Well, Live Long, And Laugh Much. Good Night.

1 comment:

Farm Girl said...

That is a neat photo. It speaks of a different time for sure. Send me Uncle James address but not in a blog. Send it through email or snail mail.

Your trip to the river sounds like a fun trip if it were 20 degrees warmer!! Yikes, shivers!!!