Friday, March 03, 2006

Sunday Morning In Sleepy Hollow

Click to really view this one. I like it. It was painted by Uncle James's daughter, Carol, in 30 hours. She collapsed and died 24 days later at a art seminar in Reno, of cancer. She was 56 years old.

Let me think. What did I do today? Hmmm.Went Back to bed after Kenny left and caught up on some sleep. Timmy came and crawled in bed with me and went back to sleep, thank goodness. That way we both caught up. Had breakfast about 11:00 then did a little homework. He sorted a basket of clean white cloths for me, made separate piles, then brought them upstairs. Big help.

I needed to make something for the youth group rally at church tonight, they were going to sell deserts. Didn't know what to make so got out a annual Taste of Home Cook Book, one I have on a 30 day trial. Found a chocolate shortbread cutout cookie, cut in a heart shape. Melted white chips and dipped the two sides in, in the shape of a V, then drizzled melted bittersweet chocolate over them. Did it late this afternoon and thought they'd never dry enough to get hard. Ended up setting them on cardboard on my bed under the ceiling fan for awhile. Couldn't wait any longer, was getting late, so I gently bagged three each in zippy bags and headed for church at 8:30. The parking lot was overflowing so I turned my headlights off when I turned in and parked partly out the drive. Snuck them in the basement door, spread the baggies out on the table with the other finger deserts, slipped back out, backed the truck out of sight of the windows, turned around headed home. Didn't see a soul. Sounds sneaky but If they saw headlights pulling in, they'd wonder what was going on at that hour. The crowed was from different churches from all around, even Kentucky. I'm sure Lorie, Pastor's wife wondered where they came from, she probably guessed, since I've made a name for myself with rolls, cinnamon rolls, apple cake and such.

Had pizza for supper, that we brought back from Jenny's last night. Timmy didn't like it since it had green peppers, banana peppers and olives on it. He wanted something else, said it was too hot, burnt his mouth. I fried an egg and put it on a hamburger bun with a little leftover sliced steak and that was his supper. Popcorn, blueberries and a carrot came later. Said he was still hungry so I made him eat some good fresh blackeye peas with sausage that I cooked. He wanted nothing to do with them. He cried but ate it as I fed him. After a couple bites, he just opened his mouth and didn't say any more, guess it wasn't so bad after all. Mean ole mom! It was either feed him or battle with him so I fed him like a baby.

It's so late that I'm dizzy so Good Night.

2 comments:

Farm Girl said...

Do you have this painting?? I have never heard this story! How do you know it?? It is a beautiul painting. How large is it?

Your cookies wound really pretty. Your sneaky basement trip sounds like something from a novel!

Lois said...

No I don't have this painting, just a snapshot that Uncle James took with his camera, 4x6. On the back he has written, "Carol painted this for us. We had a large print of this scene, "Sunday Morning In Sleepy Hollow" and a small beautiful frame, 27x13. Carol was a artest and was having a art seminar in Reno Nv. when she collapsed and died 24 days later, cancer." That's all it says. He just wanted to share it with daddy. There were a few more pictures in one of his letters, a couple of him and his wife, one of his son, one of their family home that they sold to move to a retirement home, one of him holding a huge camera taken from a WW2 airplane, that he modified for his own use, and that's all I remember. He'd love for you to write and comment on the picture or whatever. He had major heart surgery just recently, might better write soon. I'll get his address tomarrow if I don't forget. How do I know this? I sat down at his desk the other day and saw 4 envelopes laying on top of the pop-up and pulled them out to see what they were. In other words, I was snooping, I guess. I had heard mom ask daddy months ago if he had written Uncle James and sent any family picture of us. He said he only had old ones and mom said Ruth had some and I guess it ended there. So, do write him or E-mail some pictures.He would be tickled.