Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Springtime?

Springtime. That's Timmy's big question, every day, several times a day. "Mom, is it springtime yet?" I reply, "No not yet." He asks, "But when will it be springtime?" I say, "Oh, in about 8 weeks." He questions, "How long's 8 weeks?" I say, "When it's warm enough to go outside without your coat." "But is that very long?" "It is to you, why?" "Because I want the frogs to hurry up and come out."

He begged me to go into the woods with him today. I told him he could go out there in the woods where I could see him from the kitchen window. He nearly cried. He wanted me to go with him out back, down to the gully. He took his pop gun to protect us and the pruning clippers to cut me a trail so the briers and sticks wouldn't catch my cloths and hair he said. He found a little pool of water and played at undamming it for a long time while I carried rocks. Last spring I came across some dandy rocks down in the gully. I started gathering them into piles but had no way to haul them up here. Besides, it was later in the spring and it was hot, heavy work and the ticks started coming out so I abandoned ship. While he played, I carried one pile up the hill a further piece to be easier to pick up if I ever get a way to haul them. Had to get back and start supper. Got waylayed in the yard messing around the flower beds and guess what? The bleeding hearts are up and coming on through the leaves, also the surprise lillies. The daffodiles are budding too.

We ended up with 3 cakes on Valentines day. I made Kenny a fresh apple cake, he brought me a icecream cake from the Dairy Queen and the neighbor made a Red Velvet cake for Timmy. I put a red and white lace table cloth on the table, two candle holders Sarah had given me some years ago, and all the red votive holders I could find, about 10, set the three cakes on one end of the table, lit the candles and brought out the leftovers. Set Kenny's 2 cards by his plate, put Timmy's under his and set a Bob The Builder bag by Timmy's plate with a few things from the dollar store in it. Never saw him eat so fast. I wouldn't let him open it till he ate his supper.

After supper we drove over to Grantsburg to take Gerald a parts catalog. I took he and Barb a 2 layer freshapple cake with cream cheese iceing and covered with chopped walnuts. Took it in my glass , footed, covered cake plate and they loved it. They were just finishing supper and had 4 grandkids there. It was a hit.

It's after 2:00 so I'm gonna slip on out of here and down the hall. Sleep Tight.

1 comment:

Farm Girl said...

You set a pretty table. I could just picture that pretty red tablecloth and candles.

Who wouldn't be impressed with that apple cake? that would be a welcome surprise, and pretty too in that cake dish.