
This was me in 1903. I've changed a lot since then, for better or for worse. I've aged just a few years, hair's a little thinner, have to wear my necklines a bit higher now, skin is not as dewy as it was then, all in all, I don't look too bad for my age, do I? Oh well, life goes on, times they do change. I've lost the hat though, can't rightly recollect what ever became of it. I guess maybe it went out of style a few years ago. Oh yes, it's coming back to me now. Dear ol Aunt Woosey once ask to borrow it, I think it was about 1914, yes, my memory is clearing up, the fog is lifting. That's it! She had booked a sea voyage on that new unsinkable ship, the Titanic, I think was it's name. Oh She was a beauty. You can't imagine how big, grand, long and glorious that ship was to behold. The best of everything was on her, they spared nothing to make her the biggest and best ship at sea. The finest of china, silver, sparkling, glistening chandeliers, oh you name it and it was on that ship.
Well, Aunt Woosy always thought she was a 'cut above the rest' and had to have the best. She wouldn't rest until she had a passage booked on the 'Unsinkable.' Oh she shopped around and bought the finest and prettiest of the days fashions, saten slippers, kidskin high button shoes, purl buttons, no less, beautiful silk ballroom gowns and the cutest little white lacy parasol, to shade her from the sun while lounging on the first class deck. She even took her great, great grandmothers family heirloom, the biggest, bluest, sparkling diamond you've ever laid your eyes on. Oh it was a beautiful stone, set in the purest gold setting with a delicate, fine chain to grace her lilly white neckline. To complement the necklace, she needed a fine, fancy ruby red hat to complete the look of finery. Her waist was cinched up so tiny, wrapped in red velvet, layer upon layer, her most expensive gown, embroidered with silk and chenille. The very pretty sleeves were gathered round the armhole at the top, falling in a puff to the dainty wrists. The empire pattern lent it's self with grace to her tiny form, spangled with chiffon and piped silk. And the hat, oh that hat. It was extra ordinary, refined and cultured, the best millinery headwear, necessary for her well regulated wardrobe. It was of superb style, sterling guality and superior workmanship. It had a lovely spray of flowers, consisting of purple and white hydrangeas, arranged in garland fashion on the brim, with a many looped bow, the ends of which fell over the nap of her pale neck. Aaah, and it was mine. Most charming, with a sweeping ostrich plume, only meant to be worn upon ceremonious occaisions.....And she ask to barrow it , promised to return it, but alas, it went down with the ship and I never saw it again. So sad. End of story.
Ruth, maybe S. Beth could go over and stay with Mom during the day to be her arms and leggs, help her out. I am scheduled to go stay with Aunt 'Bea' Saturday night, 5:00 through Tuesday. I can take Son with me but hopefully Jenny maybe can keep him on Sunday or better yet, he'd love to go to church with S. Beth maybe a sleepover Sunday night. Just a thought. What do you say, let me know.
Gotta get to bed before my ship sinks, it's 2:30 and it sinks at 2:45. Yikes, gotta run.
3 comments:
Sorry, I deleted that last comment. I goofed it up. Let's try this again.
I said, Boy, you were on a roll last night! Aunt Woozy must have been channeling through you. Did you all of the sudden wake up and find that you had written a whole story and say where did that come from?
Timmy can come over Saturday evening and stay the week end if you want.
I think you should put fingers to keys and record Aunt Woozy's little escapades. Get it published. You could surprise yourself. You are amazing, that imagination!
Post a Comment