Monday, February 14, 2011

To Her

Happy Valentines Day! Here's a poem by Edger Guest born in 1895. He was known as "The Poet of the People" I like his poetry, if you ever see anything by him, read it.

"To the mother of my children
And the faithful wife o' mine,"
That's the line that I shall scribble
On a simple valentine,
Just to sort o' reassure her
In an old man's blundering way,
That I'm always thinking of her
Through the troubles of the day.

" To the mother of my children,
And the faithful wife o' mine,"
That's the way that I shell greet her
With some simple valentine,
And her eyes will start to gleamin'
And her heart go pit-a-pat,
For there isn't any title
That would please her more than that.

So it's just the way I'll greet her,
Just to sort o' let her know
That she's still the same old sweetheart
That she was long years ago;
That there's no one any fairer
Than my early valentine,
Now the mother of my children
And the faithful wife o' mine.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Girl, how long does it take you to type one of these up? Did you take typing in school? I did, I can type, and it would still take me a long time to get that typed and get it right. Good job though!

Farm Girl said...

Love the poem. This author said it right. Thanks for post it.